The LEED system is an international instrument that can be applied to different types of building and on an urban scale.
LEED Neighbourhood Development, the protocol for certifying the sustainability of a neighbourhood, measures not only energy efficiency, but also the use of water resources, the impact of new buildings on the existing surroundings, the efficiency of technological instruments and the presence of green spaces and pedestrian areas.
In short, LEED ND® certification indicates the qualitative features of a city district: the number of cycle lanes, the presence of public green spaces, biodiversity, access to public services and transport, the buildings available (materials, impact, energy consumption, etc.) and safety in the area.
The LEED ND system:
- Rewards a diverse selection of residences that can meet the needs of various family types;
- Encourages alternative mobility solutions, primarily walking and cycling, while still maintaining good accessibility for cars;Promuove la crescita di un quartiere più vivibile, con diverse funzioni integrate tra loro;
- Promotes the growth of a neighbourhood that is more pleasant to live in, with a variety of integrated facilities;
- Ricerca uno stile di vita improntato al benessere, senza costrizioni per residenti e visitatori.
Essentially, it assesses the livability of the neighbourhood. The higher the number of points achieved, the higher the quality of the project in terms of safety and quality of life.
Milano Santa Giulia Masteplan is 2014 US GBCI LEEN ND – SLL Review approved
Sustainable sites – credits encourage strategies that minimize the impact on ecosystems and water resources.
Water efficiency – credits promote smarter use of water, inside and out, to reduce potable water consumption.
Energy & atmosphere – credits promote better building energy performance through innovative strategies.
Materials & resources – credits encourage using sustainable building materials and reducing waste.
Indoor environmental quality – credits promote better indoor air quality and access to daylight and views.
Smart locations & linkage – credits promote walkable neighbourhoods with efficient transportation options and open space.
Neighbourhood pattern & design – credits emphasize compact, walkable, vibrant, mixed-use, neighbourhoods with good connections to nearby communities.
Regional priority – credits address regional environmental priorities for buildings in different geographic regions. Four bonus points would be available in this category.
Green infrastructure & buildings – credits reduce the environmental consequences of the construction and operation of buildings and infrastructure.
Innovation in design or Innotation in operation – credits address sustainable building expertise as well as design measures not covered under the LEED credit categories. Six bonus points are available in this category.
The areas of the development subject to the LEED ND certification process
Due to the different phases of development planned for the Milano Santa Giulia district, the LEED ND certification process will also follow different schedules for the South Zone and the North Zone.
There are 3 particular areas involved in the certification:
- Within the South Zone, the MSG LEGO area (consisting of buildings 3, 4 and 5 and the public spaces connecting them) has been registered for the protocol and aims to become the first LEED ND certified area in Italy.
- Inside, building 3, currently occupied by SKY, has already completed the entire process and obtained LEED CS GOLD certification.
- The North Zone has also been registered for the protocol and has already obtained LEED ND status.
Milano Santa Giulia is the first urban development project in Italy
to have adhered to the LEED Neighbourhood Development protocol, which demands high standards
in terms of quality of life and sustainability.